|Department:||Engineering - Analytical|
Preforms functions to analyze stress and loading on structural and mechanical for static, dynamic and thermal loadings using classical and computer assisted techniques. Prepares reports for internal and external customers; summarizes results, describing methods used and scope of work under the direction of the Engineering Manager. Supports project efforts by preparing sketches, layouts and drawings for use by other team members to implement design review conclusions as required.
PRIMARY TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Reports to: Manager of Engineering.
- Performs classical analysis (hand calculations encompassing machine and structural design reviews) to support the design of the equipment, analysis efforts, and requirements of a project.
- Creates written reports in both summary and detail as part of the analysis process defining the scope of work, methods employed and summarizing results for both internal and external customers.
- Performs mathematical modeling of equipment systems in support of project design efforts based on guidance provided by Senior Engineering Analysts and/or the Manager of Engineering. Evaluates the results of computer analysis and organizes for reporting purposes.
- Reads and interprets customer specifications, industry codes and specifications, and company established design procedures/methods.
- Provides design sketches layouts, and drawings for use by other design team members to support the implementation of design review results to meet project requirements.
- Reports project status to the Manager of the Engineering department.
- Supports efforts to maintain and update engineering processes, standards computer programs dedicated to the analysis function and project related files.
- Supports customer service efforts as it relates to warranty issues, customer requests for information, and shop requests for assistance under the guidance of the Manager of the Engineering Department.
- Regularly performs work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Estimates efforts on projects to support pre-sales quoting activity.
- Establishes method of analysis to be used on a given project or design element.
- Reviews and checks work performed by other team members for completeness and accuracy.
- Supports overall company performance goals.
- Performs other duties as assigned. Participates in Continuous Improvement. Follows safety rules and keeps work area in a clean and orderly condition.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
- College degree (BSME, BSMET, BSCE, BSAE, BSSE) required.
- 2 – 5 years of experience in related heavy equipment industry preferred.
- Ability to read and understand machinery and structural drawings, familiarity with welding design, strong mathematical abilities and mechanical aptitude. Perform stress analysis of machine and structural elements with limited supervision.
- Ability to read and understand industry codes and standards required.
- Occasional work in manufacturing areas to review fabricated components and assemblies, take measurements; use of PPE (personal protective equipment) as required to meet established safety requirements at Whiting and customer manufacturing sites.
- Occasional travel (<10% of working time).
- Ideal candidate must be a good communicator, both verbal and written.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office; (including EXCEL and WORD), FORTRAN programs and Mathcad Forms, Finite Element Software (Ansys, Cosmos/Design Simulation), handheld calculator, Groupwise, Adobe Acrobat.
Relocation will not be provided
US Citizenship Required
The applicant(s) for the above job opening(s) will be hired regardless of race, color, age, religion, marital status, sex, national origin, handicapped or veteran status.